To help you cover all the bases as a parent of an online student, here are a few tips to remember for back to school this year:
1. Contact and get to know distance learning teachers early, before classes start
2. Read all course syllabi (purchase necessary items) and participate in orientation
3. Write down login information in a safe place
4. Make a class schedule and post it prominently in your home
5. Ensure technology works including computers, internet, software, printers, scanners, etc.
6. Create a quiet, comfortable learning space for your student to concentrate in
7. Set aside time in your schedule to regularly help with homework and meet with teachers
8. Outline social activities for the year like: field trips, music or art lessons, sports, or community involvement
9. Remember to review student progress by monitoring classes and internet behavior
What's your best back to online school tip for other parents? Share your advice!