The fastest way to get answers to most of your questions is to search our extensive online documentation. Our database is regularly updated as new issues and solutions are discovered.
There are several things that can cause of slow performance and disconnects for Switched-On Online.
If the student has not done anything in the program for a while, the connection may be disconnected. The session management on our server is set to expire sessions after one hour of inactivity. The student would just need to log back in.
B) Restart Browsers
If you notice the program is getting slow, log out of it, completely close all browsers on the computer and restart the browser before logging in. If not, as long as a browser is open it gets directed to the same server every time. If a student logs off and another student logs on at the same computer without closing all browser windows, the second student gets connected to the same server as the first one. If you leave a browser window open overnight, even if it is just pointing at Google, tomorrow you get connected to the same server again.
We have many servers that are capable of serving content for each student but we have noticed that some of them are very busy, near their maximum capacity, while others are not busy at all. We suspect some people are keeping connections to certain servers and are then getting combined with other new users on the same server. If people close their browsers between logins they will get randomly assigned to one of the other servers when they re-connect. In some cases this could improve individual performance.
C) Run a Speed Test
Run an Internet Speed Tests such as (http://speedtest.net/) to determine you connection speeds. If the upload speed is below 300kbps and/or the download speed is below 700kbps this can cause slowness or disconnect problems with the program. If the speeds are too low, check with your internet provider to see what you can do to improve it.
D) Run a Trace Route
A trace route the the route from your computer taken to the server and will help to determine if the problem is is with the path across the internet used to get to our server or something our end. To check in windows,
1. Click on the Start button, type RUN then hit enter (if you have Windows XP, select Run on the menu).
2. Type CMD then hit Enter.
3 At the prompt in the DOS window type TRACERT followed bu your school's url then hit the Enter button on the keyboard.
4. It will either say 'Request timed out' or "Trace complete" when it has completed.
5. Look over the numbers in the trace route. Response times higher than 300ms could have a direct effect on performance. If the problem is within the first few hops, the issue is probably with the local network. If it occurs after that, it may be a problem with internet traffic. If the problem is with the last few it may relate to an issue with our servers.
If you think the problem is on our end, send us a copy of the the trace route.
1. Right-click on the window where it says 'C:WindowsSystem32Cmd.exe' go to Edit and select 'Select All'.
2. Right-click on the window where it says 'C:WindowsSystem32Cmd.exe' go to Edit and select 'Copy'.
3. Paste this information into an e-mail and send it to us through the Support site so we can analyze the results. Click here to send an email.
E) Internet Security Software
Settings various types of internet security software (such as antivirus or firewall programs) can interfere with Switched-On Online. The most common problem with have seen is with the Web Protection found in AVG Antivirus. To reduce the disconnects, AVG's Web Protection needs to be disabled.
1. Open AVG
2. Click on the Tools menu then on Advanced Settings
3. Click on Web Shield then Web Protection under that.
4. Take the check out of the box for Enable Web Protection then Click OK.
F) Adobe Flash problem
If the Adobe Flash player has problems it can also cause problems with Switched-On Online. Installing the newest version of Flash may correct the problem. Click here on this link to download it.
G) Try a different browser
The problem may relate a problem with your specific browser (such as a spyware infection). We have also noticed that Switched-On Online runs very quickly on version 4 of Safari and Google Chrome. You may want to try using it to see if it resolves some of the problems with performance. Be aware, the program is not tested with these browsers so there may be other issues that occur with their use.
Click here to download Safari.
Click here to download Chrome.
H) Other programs consuming bandwidth
If another program is connecting to the internet at the same, it could degrade the program's performance. Turn off all other programs that connect to the internet to see if it helps.