The beginning of the school year is an excellent time to evaluate the way you approach learning and set new goals for your academic career. Though communication at virtual schools differs from communication at brick-and-mortar schools, you can still make a positive academic impression online. Here are six tips to help you start the school year right by making a positive impression in your online courses.
1. Attend online classrooms. Attending class provides the opportunity to receive visual instruction from qualified teachers. Your presence shows a vested interest in the course and presents unique learning opportunities you won't find while studying alone.
2. Don't just attend class, participate! Ask questions, answer questions, and engage in class discussion. In addition, take time to listen and reflect upon other students' contributions.
3. Use proper spelling and grammar. Conversational shortcuts are common within popular social media networks. However, it's important to remember that online classrooms are an academic environment. Show your teachers what you know as you communicate via email and classroom chats by using proper spelling and grammar in all messages.
4. Remember, manners matter. Tone can be hard to determine when reading a typed message from a classmate or teacher. Be conscious of that fact as you formulate and send your own messages by striving to communicate clearly.
5. Stay on topic. The opportunity to build friendships with fellow distance learners is one of the many benefits of studying at Alpha Omega Academy. Online classes can be a great way to meet new friends, but the best way to nurture those friendships is by joining AOA's student groups, clubs, and social media networks.
6. Don't be afraid to seek support. Asking questions enhances the learning process. AOA provides access to caring teachers who are ready and willing to lend a helping hand. When you encounter questions within your coursework, contact your instructors and ask for assistance.