Many of you are rolling along in your second semester and are already eyeing that end date that can only mean one thing: summer break!
Whether that is you, or if you are just getting ready to start your next semester now, we want to see you succeed! On that note, we went to the experts (your teachers and counselors) to create a list of spring semester suggestions to help you avoid a frantic finish and carry positive momentum through the remainder of the year.
1. Reflect. If the first semester was complete chaos, try a different approach at organizing your efforts. Make a designated space and a designated time for each class. Check out these suggestions created by our academic counselors.
2. Don’t throw your notes away from first semester.
3. Keep an academic planner and a daily to-do list with times scheduled for each course to keep yourself on track. The system doesn’t schedule “study for the test” assignments, so you should be doing that yourself. Try a free digital version from My Study Life.
4. Make appointments with your teachers. Make it a point to schedule at least one appointment with a teacher each week. Get used to the process so that when you really need it, you feel confident reaching out.
5. Take advantage of the online library we have in the external links page in Genius. The books you need to read for your English courses are found here, so you don’t have to waste time searching elsewhere.
6. Pay attention to your scheduled end date! Always remember to plan ahead. Remember, your coursework tells you when each assignment is due. Don’t wait until the last minute to begin large projects or assignments that may require additional assistance.
7. Don’t forget about the study guides available on the Virtual Campus!
8. Don’t get “senioritis.” This is obviously most prevalent in seniors as they see graduation approaching, but as you see the weather warm up, it is easy to get distracted more easily. If you know you will struggle with this issue, maybe try to accelerate your pace now so you can finish before the nicer weather arrives.
9. Pay attention to your calendar on the Genius dashboard. This is where teachers post live classes that you can attend for fun or extra support. Use them to help you understand specific topics or attend the fun ones as rewards for staying on pace.
Overall, there are tons of resources available to you to help you succeed here at AOA, and we want you to take full advantage of them! Don’t be afraid to check out the Virtual Campus and the external links page in the Genius dashboard to find them! Beyond that, it is so important to check in with your teachers. They know all the resources we have available, so ask for guidance if you are specifically looking for something.
Good luck! We wish you the best of success in the semester ahead!